Thursday, October 8, 2009

Commercial Artist

"Commercial Art". Some would say that's an antiquated term. Even when I was in college in the early 1990's (when computer classes were still optional for design students), they were already poo-pooing that term. They called our department "Communication Arts" -- a term that sounded kinda redundant to me. (All art is communication IMO.)

With the advent of the computer being used for most design and layout, we've been hearing "Graphic Artist" or "Graphic Designer" frequently used for those who work with images and color on a computer screen.  I've been telling people for nearly two decades that I am a Graphic Artist. But... lately I've found myself not liking that term anymore.

In my career, I've seen that term get watered down to refer to anyone who has an Adobe app launched on their screen for at least a couple hours a week. There is really nothing about what some "Graphic Artists" do that could be considered art. At best, they may drop some "art" into a template or check it to make sure it will print properly or show up correctly on a web site. But that's just technical skill. It's not creative, and they're not making art. I've even noticed that some of the most effective people at these kinds of positions are not creative people at all.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to belittle those who have "Graphic Artist" under their name on their business cards and do the tasks I just mentioned. Honestly, I'm not very good at repetitive efficiency. I find myself being distracted by my own creativity when I'm required to repetitive tasks, so my efficiency plummets.

So back to the old school... I remember wanting to be a "Commercial Artist" when I grew up. That term has never bothered me like it does many of my colleagues. And I have always associated that term with people that can draw and make it reproducible. Right there, that's a lot of how I see the way I work. Technology has changed a lot of the methods and techniques, but the thought patterns remain with the creativity of solving visual problems, and making sure the solutions can be carried out to their full intent.

So if you ask me what I do, I'll say, "Commercial Artist".

No comments:

Post a Comment