Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Ancillary Creativity

It's been a few weeks since I've posted, and as I was listening to the latest podcast from Escape From Illustration Island earlier today, Thomas James put out the challenge to blog about other creative endeavors. (BTW, EFII is quickly becoming my favorite podcast.)

I know many working designers and illustrators are also musicians on some level. That's one talent God chose not to bless me with. I've tried playing guitar and bass in my college years, but it was very mechanical... sort of a musical equivalent of color-by-number. And I couldn't hit a correct vocal note no matter how hard I try. I love listening to music, but I just can't make it!

Some visual artists write poetry or prose to keep their creative juices flowing.

Others get into photography and perhaps even shoot weddings or something for a few extra weekend dollars.

You get the idea.

If you've been around me for more than a couple minutes, you know I'm into old cars in a pretty strong way. One thing I've been fascinated with is how much creativity goes into building a classic American hot rod or custom car.

I really started to notice it when I took a brief hiatus from working full-time as a commercial artist to work with my Dad at his hot rod shop. It was really amazing how I found myself using many of the same genre of problem-solving skills while working on all that old American iron.

On building the car, maybe I need a way to gusset that chassis crossmember and still leave room for a fuel line and exhaust. Maybe that fuse panel needs to be as out-of-sight as possible, yet not out-of-reach.

Then when we start into re-shaping the exterior sheet metal, things almost become sculpture. Much like graphic design needs to balance form with function, so does re-designing a car.

So yeah, building my 1952 Chevrolet Fleetline is a creative endeavor.It doesn't look like much now... but it's getting there.


No comments:

Post a Comment